Intercultural Education

Please take a look at our case study and presentation of Intercultural Education through the link below!

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1FAOP0ZPqYy7MQ5oymaWpMJxF3RYEDWo6cjIUSysNXKM/edit?usp=sharing

Charlie and his Angels kicking @ss in the name of education!

Teaching and Learning Reflections

My Thoughts on Inclusive Education

This video really resonates with me and my reflection of my own schooling in my childhood. I was one of those kids who usually found lesson content fairly easy and approachable and therefore did not require much time or help to accomplish my learning goals. However,  during high school years, I found that this was actually detrimental to my learning because I was not being challenged. This for me was partially solved by helping others understand the content and didn’t affect my perception of school very much. Now, I think back and realize that often teachers are so focused on the struggling students that any sort of challenge is an afterthought. I can also see the difficulty when it comes to providing challenge because it just adds to the pile of work and stress that the teacher is already facing. I think that there can always be a happy medium through differentiated instruction that accounts for both outlying “Pins”. In my practice, this will present itself as more prep for a lesson that accounts for this differentiation rather than attempting to generate content to help the “outliers” on the spot where I might find it difficult to manage with the workload.

My Thoughts on Wellness With Students and Teachers

Wellness is a reoccurring topic within the education system at all levels and is a global focus that encompasses both the teachers and students. Looking at our own system here in British Columbia we can see that there is a movement within the public sector to keep ourselves healthy in both the physical and mental states. And yet, we have such a keen focus on academic and professional achievement that often works against those goals of keeping everyone healthy and happy. In our society, we praise those who can sit in front of computers and accomplish the most in a given time period. But at what cost? As I sit here in front of my computer for hours on end to meet deadlines, I can’t help but notice the effect that it has on my mental state and my physical health. In the position of being both a student and a teacher candidate, I can see the necessity of accomplishing the learning goals and how they obviously vary based on age range. A piece that I can take away is that moderation and balance are key for both teachers and students. That is why I think that it is important to self regulate/moderate school with their personal lives and develop connections and coping skills that help them succeed without being consumed by educational aspirations. I think that this applies to teachers that have trouble finding the time to focus on themselves in times of stress and high expectations that are placed upon them. In my practice, I will have to remain cognizant of my own stress levels, my work-life balance, physical health, and also my student’s knowledge on how to approach the exact same things.